Quake Champions is heading to Steam Early Access on the 22nd August according to id Software and Bethesda.
id Software’s Studio Director Tim Willits said about the Early Access release:
The Early Access version of Quake Champions is, obviously, a work-in-progress, but represents a solid and robust version of the game, with four modes, 11 Champions, a variety of maps, and a thriving community of fans. Early Access will allow us to work closely with players to improve the game and add additional features before the official launch of Quake Champions in the coming months.
The Early Access version of the game brings new additions to the game
- New Maps: Church of Azathoth and Tempest Shrine
- New Champion: DOOM Slayer
- Rune Challenges: Players will be rewarded for completing new Rune Challenges found in backpacks
- Lore System: Players will find Lore Items hidden throughout Arenas in vases. By collecting all 10 Lore Items for a specific Champion, they will unlock that Champion’s high-end Lore Skin
- Improved New Player Onboarding: New features to help get fresh fraggers up to speed include a movement tutorial, shooting gallery, and the ability to choose a skill level
- New Customization Options: New options include new Champion skin sets and weapon shaders
- In-Game Voice Chat
To get players up to speed, Bethesda and id Software are knocking $10 off the price of its Champions Pack. The $29.99 purchase will let you try out all the Champions released so far as well as the ones released in future. Players will also get a limited edition Ranger skin which is only available during the Early Access period. To round things off, you’ll get three loot chests containing in-game items like skins, shaders and nameplates.
- All 11 current Champions, including Ranger, Visor, Scalebearer, Nyx, Anarki, Clutch, Sorlag, Galena, Slash, Wolfenstein’s BJ Blazkowicz, and the new DOOM Slayer
- All future Champions, including at least six additional Champions expected to release before the end of 2018, and any that follow
- An exclusive Early Access skin for Ranger, available only during the Early Access period for Champions Pack players
- Three Reliquaries (loot chests containing three in-game items for profile, Champion and weapon customization, including skins, shaders, nameplates and more)
If you aren’t into all that, the free-to-play portion of the game will launch at a later date while Beta participants will be able to continue playing through the Early Access period without needing to purchase anything.
Quake Champions Early Access comes just a couple of days ahead of QuakeCon which kicks off on the 24th August.