Kickstarter funding has opened for Neil deGrasse Tyson Presents: Space Odyssey – The Video Game and is looking to raise Pi thousand dollars, or rather $314,159 goal.
The science based game is being developed for Mac and PC including Virtual Reality gameplay and can be played offline or online. In it, you’ll “develop planets, colonize worlds, nurture species, mine elements, build robots, and discover unique life-forms as you coordinate with others in an intense game of real-time strategy.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson isn’t just putting his name to the game either, he was at E3 2017 talking about it and is actually actively involved in the development as well as being your in-game guide.
As you create and explore new worlds, the fate of your galaxies is in your hands as you set off on an action packed adventure.
- Explore New Worlds – Players can also explore galaxies created by other players, including prominent scientists and fictional world-builders like Tyson, Bill Nye, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, and Peter Beagle.
- Metroidvania Style – Players can explore, though access to parts is limited until developing the technology, skills, tools or resources to unlock access.
- Machine Learning – An intelligent game where game play decisions directly affect and change the environment and game play for others.
- Immersive VR Missions – Space Odyssey has teamed up with Oculus Rift and Samsung to bring exciting, immersive virtual reality special missions to the game.
- Pilot Spaceships – Construct your spacecraft, equip it with the tools you’ll need to accomplish challenges and pilot it through friends’ planetary systems, mysterious planets and unknown stars.
If you are interested in backing the project, head over to Kickstarter.