Blizzard China has released information on the Overwatch Loot Box drop rate for the different levels of exclusivity. While the information has been available on the site since April, the law established by the Chinese Ministry of Culture actually came into force on the 1st May.
According to the relevant national laws and regulations, “watch the vanguard” on the extraction of the probability of the release, as follows:
Loot box content: Each loot box will contain 4 items. Including cosmetics, or game currency to unlock cosmetics
- Rare quality (Blue) – 100% chance
- Each loot box will contain at least one item of rare or higher quality
- Epic quality (Purple) – 18.2% chance
- An average of 5.5Â loot boxes contain an item of epic quality
- Legendary quality (Gold) – 7.4% chance
- An average of 13.5 loot boxes contain an item of legendary quality
While the figures explain the drop rates of rares, epics and legendaries it doesn’t inform how many are likely to be duplicates which the game likes to give out.
It should be noted that the Overwatch Loot Box drop rate mentioned here applies to the Chinese version of the game, there is no guarantee that these rates apply to Western versions of the game. Games like League of Legends are known to use different drop rates in different regions, whether Blizzard does the same for its games isn’t known.
Blizzard has also shared the rates for Hearthstone card packs which we reported on earlier.
Overwatch is available now for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.