The ESA (Entertainment Software Association) conducted a survey of 4,000 US based gamers and found the thing we have known for years even though individuals will tell you otherwise. According to their Essential Facts 2017 report, gamers apparently, value graphics over story and gameplay.
When coming down to influencing factors when buying a game graphics leads the decision making followed by price, story and online gameplay features.
This is something graphics card and console manufacturers, at least Sony and Microsoft, know too. That is one of the reasons they throw that impressive pixel pushing number at you in the marketing push.
Other information from the survey that you may or may not know includes:
- Average age of gamers is 35-years-old
- The average male player is 33
- The average female player is 37
- 53% of the most frequent gamers play multiplayer games
- Best selling games of 2016
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
- Battlefield 1
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Madden NFL 17
- NBA 2K17
- Tom Clancy’s The Division
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- FIFA 17
- The ESRB rated 1,491 games in 2016, most of them were E for Everyone and more than doubled the number of T for Teen games which were the second most populated age rating group.
- Video games are deemed more value for money than other entertainment media like Cinema visits, Music and DVD/Blu-ray