Nintendo has updated its account system which includes the introduction of the Nintendo Account ID. A Nintendo Account ID is required for the Nintendo Switch but can be claimed now ahead of the console release on the 3rd March 2017.
The Nintendo Account ID is different from the Nintendo Network ID, the system used on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS.
To claim your Nintendo Account ID, head over to the Nintendo Accounts page and log in.
Once logged in follow these basic steps. If you don’t have an account already, create one then follow this guide:
- You should be on the User Info page.
- If you aren’t, click the option on the left
- Scroll down to User ID, it should be under E-mail address
- On the same line as the text User ID, click Edit
- It’ll require that you change your password and will send you an email with a confirmation code
- Set your new password
- Select your User ID
- While you can type in case sensitive user ID’s, it will be switched to all lower case when accepted
- As long as your User ID meets Nintendo’s requirements (at least 6 characters long) and isn’t already taken, you’ll get a confirmation that your User ID is set.
The Nintendo Switch launches on the 3rd March 2017.