Microsoft will be approaching the Xbox One Windows 10 update a little differently when it comes to rolling it out to Xbox One preview members. Instead of forcing preview members to take the update, the Xbox team will allow people to opt-in to take the biggest overhaul since the console launched.
- We will roll this update out over time to Preview members who opt in for it. We’ll start with a set of Preview members who have historically submitted the most feedback – it will not roll out to everyone at the same time. Our goal is to start with a group, get feedback, then roll out to larger groups for additional feedback over time.
- If you’re a member of the Xbox One Preview Program, you will get an invitation sent to you in an Xbox Live message.
- From the invitation launch the Xbox Preview Dashboard and select the registration option.
- You can then opt-in by selecting “Preview – New Xbox One Experience”.
- If you choose not to participate in this update (you just leave your registration as preview), you will continue to receive “regular” Preview Program updates going forward. This will not remove you from the Xbox Preview Program.
- New builds will regularly roll out over a period of several weeks to those who opt in, and our engineering team will work to improve the features and fix any bugs they identify throughout the preview testing.
Preview members are expected to get access to the Xbox One Windows 10 update starting in September, everyone else will have the update sometime in November based on Microsoft deployment plans.
This update also includes a new user interface for the Home menu, a new community section and Xbox 360 backwards compatibility support for a selection of titles.