Mojang has released an update for the hugely popular Minecraft on Windows 10 which adds cross platform play with the Minecraft Pocket Edition on iOS, Android, Windows Phone mobiles and tablets.
On the cross platform feature, Mojang said “One of our long-term goals for Minecraft is to bring our community closer, and give as many players as possible a chance to play together. This is a small step towards that goal.”
Local Play is up and running, Online play is still work in progress but does work if you know how to set up your router as explained in the announcement.
If you’re on the same network, just enable “Local Server Multiplayer” on the options screen. Available games will show up in the Play menu.
If you’re extra clever, it’s even possible to play with your friends across the world through the medium of the internet. Unfortunately, setting this up might only work if you have direct access to your router and familiarity with the often frustrating and slightly sad activity known as Port Forwarding. Attempt with caution, crafters.
Online play is something of a work in progress. That said, it’s pretty cool if you get it set up. Click Play, then New, then the funny little plus-sign-arrow-thing in the corner, and add the name and IP address of the server you want to join. Good luck!
The Windows 10 Minecraft Beta Patch 0.12.1 not only supports Minecraft Pocket Edition cross platform play, it also includes:
- The Nether and all its inhabitants. Fight Ghasts and make friends with Pigmen
- Cross platform play for up to five players between Pocket Edition and Windows 10
- Revamped touch controls, controller support, and a controller mapping screen
- Enhanced Weather effects! Accumulating snow and more
- Zombie Villagers can now have professions like farmers or butchers
- Ocelots! Try taming one with a fish
- Experience, Anvils, Brewing, and enchantments. Time to up your game, crafter
- Golems. We recommend you approach with caution
- Flower pots. We recommend you fill them with flowers
- Sneaking and sprinting! Express yourself through movement!
- Loads of bug fixes that are too boring to list here.
- Lots, lots more!