nVidia has issued a recall against some of its SHIELD tablets after it found that one of the two types of batteries used posed a fire hazard after overheating, the devices were sold between July 2014 and July 2015.
The battery in question is the Y01 type, the B01 batteries are not affected by the issue. Owners of the gaming tablets are requested to look for what battery type their device has by going to the Settings menu. If you are unsure where to look, nVidia provided steps to verify your device configuration.
- From the Home screen in Android, select the Apps icon
- Select the Settings icon
- Scroll down, select About tablet
- Select Status
- Under the “Battery” category, you’ll see Y01 or B01
- If B01, your unit is NOT affected by this recall
- If Y01, your unit needs to be replaced. Please select Y01 to launch the recall application on the device
If you have a Y01 battery, it is recommended that you stop using the tablet and register to participate in the recall.