Bungie has released details of Update 1.0.2 which will be available to Destiny players next week and addresses one of the main complaints players have about the game, Engrams.
In the announcement blog, Bungie explains the changes:
Cryptarch ChangesCayde-6 took the Cryptarch aside and showed him a sack of doorknobs. He decoded that mystery pretty quickly.
- Legendary Engrams will always produce Legendary or better quality items, including Materials or Exotics
- Rare Engrams will always produce Rare or better quality items
- Rare engrams will have an increased chance to produce Legendary quality itemsActivity Changes
- Daily Heroics, Weekly Heroics, and Vanguard: Tiger Playlist activities will include Rare and Legendary Engrams in addition to their existing rewardsItem Changes
- Ascendant materials have been promoted to Legendary to closer associate them with the gear they are used to upgrade
- Legendary Engram items that exist in your inventory will be demoted to Rare quality when the patch goes live, so decode them while you can. But let’s be honest–even if you don’t, we all know they were blues already…
The randomness of the Cryptarch when decoding Engrams was an attempt by Bungie to provide the NPC some character, instead players found the outcome to be frustrating as they’s find a purple Engram, which should be Legendary, only for it to come out Blue, Rare, after being decrypted.