Maxis is currently looking for feedback from it’s community regarding modding of the latest SimCity game. A post on their official forum calls out the initial plan from the studio and asks for player feedback on what they would like to see and just as importantly, what they wouldn’t like to see.
The post reads:
Hello SimCity Mayors.
Maxis has a long tradition with User Generated Content (UGC) and supporting the UGC community. As is seen with the Sims 3 Exchange and tools we’ve released in the past for SimCity, encouraging the creativity of our players is an important part of what we do. As a matter of fact, there is quite a bit of UGC created for this SimCity by our community and many conversations happening around modding.
We would like to have a discussion with our fans regarding UGC and the creation of “mods” in SimCity under our new forum section called “User Generated Content”. Our goal is to ensure that we provide a place for all of our players to have fun while assuring them that the gameplay experience is safe and has integrity. It’s difficult to determine what makes a “good” or safe mod and what mods cross the line. Clarifying guidelines for UGC will help players understand where that line is and protect both our UGC and non-UGC community. Ultimately we want everyone to have fun with the game, no matter how you play it.
We want to have an open discussion with our community about what you want out of UGC SimCity and hear your thoughts about the first draft of UGC guidelines. The discussion will result in a clear set of final guidelines about the do’s and don’ts to UGC in SimCity.
User Generated Content Guidelines – first draft:
- Acceptable UGC and mods do not jeopardize the integrity of the gameplay or harm the experience of others.
- UGC that effects the simulation for multiplay games and features are not allowed.
- Examples of acceptable UGC include swapping art assets, like buildings and vehicles.
- Maxis reserves the right to take disciplinary action against players who break the rules.
Here are some questions we have to get the conversation going:
- What kinds of UGC/mods are people interested in?
- What are your thoughts on the guidelines?
- How should we deal with cheating and players who break the rules?
- Are there game modes that would be acceptable to allow UGC in? Is Sandbox mode an acceptable UGC mode? Would tagging regions with UGC be an acceptable solution?
- Of the UGC/mods available today, what are you most excited about? Which ones do you consider negative?
Members of the team will be active on this thread to engage with you on this very important topic. We’ll gather your feedback for the next few weeks and then pull together the final version of the official guidelines. We hope to hear your thoughts!
SimCity Official Forum: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9729407.page